Art, Institutions and the Market
This subjets is part of Contexts of Artistic Practices,
- Studies: Bachelor Degree in Fine Arts
- Credits: 6 ECTS
- Year: First year
- Type: Basic Training
- Subject code: GB08
In this basic training subject, first one from Contexts of Artistic Practices, students are made familiar with the way the professional, institutional and economic context of art works. The aim is to offer the guidance and practical skills needed in professional practice, and also to introduce a reflection framework that would enable understanding and critical analysis of the economic, labor, administrative and legal conditions under which it operates. In addition to theoretical expositions, students will get to know first-hand different contexts and agents through the programmed visits to different centers and spaces. Activities such as case studies, interviews, readings, exposition and debates on topics, reviews and other written work, as well as practical work with other formats and media for exploring different aspects of the discipline will be carried out during this subject.
Functioning of the professional, institutional and economic context of art. Characterization of the art system, its agents and institutions. Administration and market, the public and the private sectors. Circuits and mechanisms of delimitation and legitimization. Economic-administrative models that operate in relation to culture. Art and cultural industry, innovation and entrepreneurship. The economy of art. Fiscal regime and taxation. Forms of financing. The artists as workers and their documents. Rights and duties. Legal and labor regime. Professional opportunities. Intellectual property. Elements, transmission and extinction of the royalties. Other distribution and recognition licenses. Good professional practices in the visual arts. The social responsibility of the artist.
- Ability to perform in complex situations or situations that require the development of new solutions.
- Analysis of own knowledge relevant to the field and its contextualization in national and international environments.
- Respectful attitude towards diversity and equal opportunities, taking into account the gender intersection with other inequality aspects (age, class, race, sexuality and gender identity/expression, functional diversity, etc.).
- Proposal of strategies for the promotion of gender equality and equity among people in the scope of professional practice.
- Proper analysis of the terms and basic concepts of the economy of art and capability to analyze its links with the field of culture.
- Analysis of the main sectors, institutions and agents of the artistic field, the way they operate and the role they play.
- Solid knowledge of the economic, labor, administrative and legal conditions under which artistic practices operate, the artist's condition as a worker and corresponding documents.
- Relevant use of analog and digital resources that facilitate collaborative work.