- Edition: 1st
- Teaching period: From October 15th 2019 to May 2020. Final postgraduate's project presentation: June 2020.
- Schedule: Tuesday and Thursday from 19 to 22 h
- Modality: On site
- Language: Spanish
- Price: 4.380 €
- Qualification: Postgraduate degree in structural and sustainable packaging design issued by the UVic-UCC.
- Credits: 30 ECTS
Given that packaging is no longer a mere container for transportation, it is important to train professionals to have a broad view of this discipline and the ability to combine creativity, UX and industry knowledge to the creation of structural packaging.
Nowadays, society poses a new challenge: consumption that is evolving towards an increase in the use of packaging, with an increasingly personal iteration, at the same time, has been identified as an environmental issue. The solution to this problem lies in the hands of professional packaging designers, who have now secured their place as key drivers of change.
The Postgraduate Course in Structural and Sustainable Packaging Design provides a theoretical and practical training programme that comprehensively combines the management and strategy of packaging projects; the detection of opportunities in the UX; the creative process and its tools; knowledge and understanding of the use of materials, and how to achieve goals in a sustainable manner.
To transform designers into specialists in the strategy and the creation process behind sustainable packaging. By doing so, students will acquire the necessary knowledge and tools to create value within companies and bring about a positive impact on society and the environment. This will be based on research and strategic decision-making and will move on to the study of sustainability and the analysis of the user experience, in addition to covering the conceptualisation and creation of structural packaging.
After completing the Postgraduate Degree in structural and sustainable packaging design, the student will have acquired:
- The necessary skills to manage structural packaging projects.
- The skills to materialise the opportunities and challenges posed by sustainable packaging.
- Critical-thinking skills to evaluate and validate sustainable packaging designs.
- Skills to promote creative innovation in the design process.
- The required knowledge to reach the pre-engineering stage of structural packaging designs.
- Knowledge of basic tools used in structural packaging design.
Module 1: Strategic immersion Module 2: Sustainable packaging (cross-curricular) Module 3: Ideation and creative tools Module 4: Materials and production processes Module 5: Projects (cross-curricular)
Module 1: Strategic immersion
- Introduction to structural packaging
- Approach to the management of packaging projects
- Design strategy. How to create benchmark packaging with structural vision
- Innovation, mindset and tools
- Work process for conducting UX research: the CJM (customer journey map)
Module 2: Sustainable packaging
- Sustainability concepts within packaging
- Environmental vector in structural design
- Natural integration of sustainable concepts in the ideation stages
- Lifecycle analysis
- Qualitative environmental analysis
- Tools for measuring environmental impact
- Exploration into improving UX from a sustainable viewpoint as a global trend
Module 3: Ideation and creative tools
- Fundamentals of creativity and how to work with it
- Creative techniques: mind maps, co-creation
- Application of augmented reality via the Spark platform
- Manual sketching: initial ideas, perspective, shadows, colour and representation
- Sketchbook applied to digital illustration of packaging
- Rhinoceros applied to 3D modelling of structural packaging
- Keyshot: rendering of packs generated in 3D
- From idea to reality: key points for managing a good presentation
Module 4: Materials and production processes
- Knowledge of materials and manufacture of packs
- Selection criteria for materials according to the needs of the design of the structural pack
- Packaging processes
- Labelling of packs. Typologies and particularities
- The way logistics influences pack design. Standardisations and trends
- Online shopping. How to ensure guarantees, transport and a good UX
Module 5: Projects
- Logpack: packaging aimed at logistical efficiency and new purchasing trends
- Ecopack: packaging aimed at minimal environmental impact. How to educate buyers
- UXpack: the user experience at the heart of the pack design. How to strengthen the brand's values through this experience
- Smartpack: making packaging smart
Enric Batlle Coordinator
Creative Director / CEO Batllegroup
Coordinator of the Master’s Degree in Branding and Packaging
Ramon Martínez Coordinator
CEO Stimulo Design
Joan Carles Sánchez Coordinator
Creative Director in Stimulo Design
Technological coaching for graphic design
Jordi Oliver i Solà
PhD in Environmental Sciences
Bachelor's Degree in Fine Arts
Director and photographer
Carlos Galán Rubio
Graphic and Digital Designer
Designer and Art Director
Degree in Advertising and Public Relations
Mariana Felipe Marques
Técnica de proyectos de asesoramiento y eco-innovación
- Branding and packaging agencies.
- Industrial design studios.
- Companies that manage brands and products and/or have in-house design development, be they manufacturing or distribution companies.
- Studios working with creative teams.
Total cost of the course: 4.380 €
BAU, Design College of Barcelona offers different terms of payment:
- Single payment: attracts a 3% discount
- Part payment, in three installments:
- 1st payment consisting of 40 % of the fees on enrollment
- 2nd payment consisting of 30% of the fees before November 5th
- 3rd payment consisting of 30 % of the fees before January 5th
Former students of BAU benefit from 10% discount on any of the courses. A former student of BAU is a student who, not being registered in the current academic year, has exceeded 50% of the credits for a Degree, Higher Degree in Design or the BAU Nit (BAU Evening); or 100% of the credits for any of the Master’s or Postgraduate degrees.
More information about scholarships and grants.
Send us a message and we will contact you as soon as possible.