- Edition: 8th
- Teaching period: From October 2020, 6th to June 2021. Final postgraduate's project presentation: June 2021
- Schedule: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 19:00 a 22:00.
- Modality: On site
- Language: Spanish
- Price: 4.410 €
- Qualification: Postgraduate Degree in Innovation and design thinking awarded by the UVic-UCC
- Credits: 30 ECTS
Innovation and internationalization have emerged as the key strategies in the current economic context. New ecosystems and business strategies arise in the process of the paradigm shift from product design to service design.
The design of experiences requires multi-skilled professionals with strategic and tactical proficiency when moving the customer / user to the centre of the design process and the business strategy.
Design Thinking has enabled the designer to become the agent of change in organizations and to act as a lever of transformation in this new way of working, enabling innovation in processes, products, services, communication and business strategy.
To that end, and based on the Lean Start-up philosophy, the specific techniques of the different stages of the innovation cycle will be applied to Customer Development, Value Proposition, Service Design and Business Design processes. New techniques and processes that will make possible the alignment of the business vision and its value proposition with the strategies and principles of the customer’s experience.
This postgraduate course is divided into 5 modules, the fourth being the development of a Final Research Project to end the course.
Module 1 - Design Thinking as a paradigm of innovation Module 2 - Design Research for understanding the needs of our users and clients Module 3 - Technical ideation and conceptualisation of new products and services Module 4 - Business Design and Lean Startup Module 5 - Final Project
Module 1 - Design Thinking as a paradigm of innovation
Introduction to the role of Design Thinking within the framework of innovation processes.
- Innovation as a process: phases and techniques.
- Types of innovation.
- Organisational impact of innovation.
- Strategies and skills for managing innovation.
- Creativity techniques applied to problem solving.
- Evolution of the designer’s role in society.
- Decision making in design.
- Impact of the Service Design Thinking paradigm in business.
- Proposal for a map of Design Thinking.
- Application of indicators in the process of design and innovation.
Module 2 - Design Research for understanding the needs of our users and clients
Mastering the research techniques applied to design processes.
- Techniques for Design Research.
- Obtaining Insights.
- Personal techniques.
- Foresight of Future Scenarios.
Module 3 - Technical ideation and conceptualisation of new products and services
Practical introduction to the techniques of ideation.
- Visual Thinking Techniques.
- The Design of the Concept.
- Information Architecture.
- Interactive Design and Visual Design.
- Product-Service Design.
- Mapping techniques for Design Services: Customer Journey and BluePrint.
Module 4 - Business Design and Lean Startup
Knowledge of Lean start-up techniques for the design and refinement of business models.
- The impact of Strategic Design in businesses.
- Customer Experience Strategy.
- From the Design of Services to Business Design.
- Business Model Design & Lean Startup.
- Customer Discovery & Validation.
- Business Model Canvas.
- Canvas Value Proposition.
- Lean Startup Machine.
Module 5 - Final Project Study
In this module students should develop a group project, proposed by themselves or by a teacher, in which the principles of innovation and Service Design Thinking are applied throughout the course.
Application of methodologies and approaches to Design Thinking in a real or figurative business context. Definition of a product, services or media development approach. Definition of business objectives. Project report and public presentation.
Color Hero by María José Ávila, Alejandro Álvarez, Ximena Silva, Diana Urquiza
Waste Lab by Agustina Yazlle, Anna Carbonell, Luiza Steinmetz, Mônica de Araújo
Una pizca de sal de Añana by Irati Besga
Rock It by Antzeliki Stergianoudi, Jean Paul Egred, Juan Sebastian Cortes, Armando Mesias
Cristina Bustillo Coordinator
PhD in Telecommunications Engineering
Postgraduate Coordinator in Innovation and Design Thinking
Bacherlor's Degree in Humanities and Communication
Bachelor's in Business Studies with an MBA
Bachelor’s degrees in Social and Cultural Anthropology and Psychology
Master en Innovation
Graduated in Industrial Engineering
- Innovation Manager or Consultant.
- Design Researcher.
- Interaction Designer.
- Information Architect.
- Visual Designer.
- UX Prototyping.
- Designer Services.
- Business Designer.
Total cost of the course: 4.410 €
BAU, Design College of Barcelona offers different terms of payment:
- Single payment: attracts a 3% discount
- Part payment, in three installments:
- 1st payment consisting of 40 % of the fees on enrollment
- 2nd payment consisting of 30% of the fees before November 5th
- 3rd payment consisting of 30 % of the fees before January 5th
Former students of BAU benefit from 10% discount on any of the courses. A former student of BAU is a student who, not being registered in the current academic year, has exceeded 50% of the credits for a Degree, Higher Degree in Design or the BAU Nit (BAU Evening); or 100% of the credits for any of the Master’s or Postgraduate degrees.
More information about scholarships and grants.
Download the brochure
Enter your details and we will send you an email with the Postgraduate Degree in Innovation and Design Thinking brochure.