Postgraduate degree in digital illustration and new media
Illustration created applied in the contemporary and technological environment. Its purpose is to mould professionals and provide them with the strategic capacity to establish dynamic processes of visual communication.
- Edition: 4th
- Teaching period: From October 2019, 15th to May 2020. Final postgraduate's project presentation: June 2020.
- Group A: Tuesday and Thrusday from 15:45 h to 18:45 h (COMPLETED)
- Group B: Tuesday and Thrusday from 19 h to 22 h
- Modality: On-site
- Language: Spanish
- Price: 3.990 €
- Qualification: Postgraduate Degree in Digital illustration and new media awarded by the UVic-UCC
- Credits: 30 ECTS
The changes that have occurred in recent decades, as a consequence of the development of information and communication technologies, have given rise to new types of behaviour, consumption and interaction with products.
The illustration stands as an important strategic structural element for the dissemination and promotion of projects, becoming one of the most effective methods for the transfer of ideas and concepts.
Likewise, the profession gains new methods while means of production and technical features are substantially expanded, defining styles and trends related to the requirements of this exponential market.
The postgraduate programme deals with illustration created and applied in the contemporary and technological environment. Its purpose is to mould professionals and provide them with the strategic capacity to establish dynamic processes of visual communication.
Analysing the labour needs in the field of illustration required by new technologies and the media industry.
Becoming familiar with the platforms and environments that are integrated into the development of digital communication projects.
Acquiring resources and methodologies for the development of visual communication projects.
The Postgraduate Degree is divided into 8 modules and concludes with the submission of a Final Project.
Module I - Graphic edition Module I - Fundamentals and applications Module III - Conceptualisation Module IV - The illustration of eBooks Module V - Planning and presentation of multimedia campaigns Module VI - Transmedia communication Module VII - Illustration applied to the product Module VIII - Project methodology
Module I – Graphic edition
Based on the design and development of an online editorial project, this module introduces technical content around the main editing programs. The aim is to acquire the fundamentals of planning and management of publications that involve the correct use and relation of formats. Vector graphics, rasterisation and layouts.
The module also provides the practical foundations for the proper development of the projects proposed in the course and the implementation of the major graphics editing programs (Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign).
The student will also acquire the necessary knowledge of rasterised graphics, vector graphics and layouts as well as the study and practice of methods for editing and advertising publications.
To complete the module, the processes for the management of publishing projects and digital publications will be discussed.
- Digital Editorial proposal.
- Planning and design of a Digital Editorial Project.
- Editing programs.
- Creating and modifying a Digital Image.
- New supports for Digital Publications.
Module II - Fundamentals and applications
The content of this module is related to the existing platforms and supports for implementing illustration and graphic productions. Knowledge of these is an important starting point for future planning of the promotion and design of projects related to individual targets. Similarly, the analysis of media will serve as an introduction to the study of multimedia elements, in which techniques related to interaction, animation and other resources will be presented.
In this module, supports and platforms for the implementation of digital artwork will be identified and the techniques and digital tools for creating multimedia elements will be used. At the same time, the student will gain an understanding of software technologies.
- Adaptation of manual illustration to digital illustration.
- Creation of animated sketches.
- Designing interactive products, interfaces and usability.
- Sprites, Texture Atlas, Frame by Frame, and other formats for the development of digital applications.
- Interaction and animation tools for games and apps.
Module III - Conceptualisation
This module develops strategies and resources for visual communication by means of a series of exercises and the presentation of content. The main objective is to acquire skills for the processes of creativity and messaging.
The module is designed in the form of a workshop for conceptual development involving individual, cultural and social experiences. The practices and theoretical content provide an important basis for the implementation and development of future proposals throughout the postgraduate course and will help students to familiarise themselves with the common processes of artistic and advertising language.
- Develop creative skills.
- Gain an understanding of the theory of the image.
- Acquire knowledge of visual communication.
- Understand and apply strategies and resources for the transmission of messages.
- Develop practices to streamline creative and technical processes.
- Theory of the image.
- Visual resources and modes of representation.
- Plastic significance.
- Iconic creation.
- Conceptualisation and perception.
- Formal and conceptual synthesis.
Module IV - The illustration of eBooks
The image as a visual representation of a text or concept is present in almost all projects involving illustration. By constructing images from a text, students will learn about methodological processes for the transmission of messages and adapting them using languages for specific audiences and specific purposes.
At the same time, the module covers technical procedures for adapting illustrations to electronic devices through the detailed study of formats.
- Develop methodologies for the planning of graphic production processes.
- Analyse and apply languages and techniques of digital illustration.
- Analyse formats and supports for the application of an image.
- Illustration proposal for eBooks.
- Design of an image based on a text.
- Analysis of styles, genres and dissemination channels.
- Development and creation of elements and characters.
- Adaptation of illustration to digital formats.
- File formats and application.
Module V - Planning and presentation of multimedia campaigns
This module deals with developments in design and the planning of communication campaigns, media promotion strategies, formats for dissemination and methodologies for presentations. The student will focus on the planning of processes and the presentation of projects. As the content is developed around an urban awareness campaign, involvement with the project extends to ethical and personal criteria.
- Practice processes for formal and conceptual synthesis.
- Develop and practice strategies for the dissemination and communication of messages.
- Acquire knowledge of the methodology for communication campaigns.
- Acquire knowledge of the methodology for the presentation of projects.
- Create a proposal for an orientation or awareness campaign related to urbanism and social behaviour issues.
- Design and planning of media campaigns.
- Analysis and practice of graphic synthesis.
- Supports and elements of digital communication.
- Planning and organising the presentation of projects.
Module VI - Transmedia communication
Departing from proposals for promotional campaigns, this module discusses some of the trends and tools applied to digital marketing, as well as the importance of content and the interaction of the potential user, which are often key components for proper dissemination.
Transmedia storytelling is one of the most widely implemented strategies for advertising applied to new media. Throughout the module students will carry out practices in multiple formats to develop a project about the processes involved with planning and technical applications.
- Acquire knowledge of transmedia storytelling.
- Analyse planning processes and the feasibility of graphic campaigns.
- Understand and apply strategies and resources for the development of promotional campaigns.
- Narrative developments in promotional campaigns.
- Cross-platform and cross-media.
- Creativity transmedia and media planning.
- Analysis and use of resources for interaction.
- Application of multimedia elements.
Module VII - Illustration applied to the product
The image is a key component in branding and plays an important role when attracting the target audience and defining aspects of perception and interaction with the product. To ensure its proper application, aspects related to functionality, identity, supports, innovation and differentiation will be studied.
In response to specific objectives, this module analyses the adaptability and integration of digital illustration applied to the product.
- Acquire knowledge of the dissemination and communication of messages.
- Analyse processes of adaptation and integration of an image applied to the product.
- Develop practices for technical description.
- Acquire knowledge of reproduction techniques.
- Proposal of illustrations applied to the product.
- Corporate illustration.
- Application to industrial design.
- Study and adaptation to the product image.
- Resources and production techniques.
Module VIII - Project methodology
This module deals with promotion and career guidance based on the planning processes of methodologies and strategies. The main objective is to structure a proposal for self-promotion, taking into account the various sections that provide methodological support to the project through the development of general and specific objectives, from the research and analysis process to its implementation and presentation.
- Acquire knowledge of planning and project management.
- Analyse and propose promotional strategies.
- Apply methods for the preparation and presentation of portfolios.
- Obtaining resources.
- Selecting content.
- Construction, planning, description and presentation.
- Processes for the preparation and presentation of portfolios.
- Analysis of distribution channels and the promotion of a portfolio.
Sito Mújica Coordinator
A qualified Graphic Designer and visual artist
Coordinator of Graduate Illustration Digital and New Media
Technological coaching for graphic design
Graphic Designer and Art Director
Mercè Iglesias Majó
Graphic Designer and Illustrator
Graphic Designer and Illustrator
Graphic Designer and typographer
- Illustration applied to digital media.
- Illustration applied to products.
- Advertising illustration.
- Corporate illustration.
- Press illustration.
- Art direction for editorial and digital publications.
- Management of digital communication projects and community managers.
- Management of multimedia promotional projects.
Total cost of the course: 3.990 €
BAU, Design College of Barcelona offers different terms of payment:
- Single payment: attracts a 3% discount
- Part payment, in three installments:
- 1st payment consisting of 40 % of the fees on enrollment
- 2nd payment consisting of 30% of the fees before November 5th
- 3rd payment consisting of 30 % of the fees before January 5th
Former students of BAU benefit from 10% discount on any of the courses. A former student of BAU is a student who, not being registered in the current academic year, has exceeded 50% of the credits for a Degree, Higher Degree in Design or the BAU Nit (BAU Evening); or 100% of the credits for any of the Master’s or Postgraduate degrees.
More information about scholarships and grants.
Send us a message and we will contact you as soon as possible.