Postgraduate degree in digital editions
New digital technologies in editorial design represent a big change for the professional designer. This digital reality affects both the concept and creative process, and the production and dissemination of editorial works.
- Edition: 6th Edition.
- Teaching period: From October 2018, 17th to May 2019. TFP Presentation: June 2019.
- Schedule: Mondays and Wednesdays from 19 h to 22 h.
- Modality: On-site.
- Language: Spanish.
- Qualification: Postgraduate Degree/Diploma of Specialization in Postgraduate Degree in Digital Editions issued by the Uvic-UCC.
- Credits: 30 ECTS
Postgraduate Degree in Digital Editions
Traditional textbooks and periodicals are transformed and evolve a new digital dimension requiring re-think old concepts and learn new working methods and technologies. Publishing, professional, Designer cannot ignore these changes. The publishing industry needs more than ever to professional designers in this transition to the new technologies in constant growth.
The creative designer must have a dynamic and open attitude towards new technologies. This postgraduate course provides an opportunity to publishing, professional, designer to go along with the big publishing houses by new digital technologies.
Analizar el diseño editorial y su evolución hacia la edición digital actual. Estudiar los nuevos formatos de comunicación digital, nuevos conceptos de lectura y de diseño. Formar al diseñador editorial profesional en las nuevas tecnologías digitales. Profundizar en cómo afecta la edición digital a los diseñadores, creadores de imagen, de contenidos y a la industria editorial. Conocer la interactividad y el movimiento, nuevo reto para el diseñador creativo. Estudiar las nuevas vías y formatos de comercialización y distribución. La nube. Diseñar y crear contenidos para tablets y smartphones. Conocer los programas más avanzados y profesionales en edición digital. Conocer el nuevo sistema de comunicación visual y reto en publicidad. Controlar target y atracción de anunciantes a través de tablets.
This postgraduate course is organised in 10 modules and is completed upon handing in the Final Project.
Module I - Publishing Module II - Creation of interactive digital magazines. Module III - Core project of digital magazine creation Module IV - Typography applied to digital publishing design Module V - Criticism and analysis of the briefing for Digital Publishing Module VI - Information architecture and graphic synthesis in digital publications Module VII - Usability in digital publications Module VIII - Complementation to create digital publications Module IX - Distribution and sales in the App Store and the Android Market Module X - Business models, interactive advertising and branded apps
Module I - Publishing
The revolution of digital publishing in today’s world.
- The evolution of traditional publishing houses in the digital era.
- Different typologies of digital publications: magazines and books.
- Digital publications in today’s market.
- Pros and cons of the digital edition of periodic publications.
Module II - Creation of interactive digital magazines. Bütton
Learning, through practice, to create digital publications with the DPS software.
- The revolution in publishing: from Gutenberg to iPad.
- Learning Büttonpublish software.
- Install Button and Button Design View.
- Navigation strategy and design for iPad / Mobile in pixels and resolutions.
- Folder structure.
- Export and preview with Büttonpublish.
- Implementation overlays / effects.
- Creation of basic automatic overlay animations with Animation.
- Create buttons with Hotspot.
- Create buttons with Flip effect.
- Zoom image
- Creating image galleries with Slideshow.
- Creating Scroll texts.
- Sequence, different uses that can be given
- Add video and audio to the publication using Overlays
- Types of links: an article, a page, a web and sending a mail
- Tablet screen resolutions and retina.
- Integrate web content publishing with a INWEB.
- Horizontal and vertical layout.
- Embed videos from youtube and vimeo.
- Share Posted different devices with Button View
- Final production and publication in the cloud.
- Creation of digital publications from start to finish.
Module III - Core project of digital magazine creation
Creating a personal and individual project in digital publication format.
- Digital publication conceptualization and creation.
- Development of format and navigation strategies.
- Digital publication design and layout.
- Study of visual language, tone and rhetoric.
- Structure and experience of use.
- Information hierarchy.
- Adaptation to the different tablet and smartphone formats.
- Final creation and checking of the interface.
Module IV - Typography applied to digital publishing design
Study of on-screen typography.
- Legibility, readability and typographic hierarchy on screen.
- Immersive and selective reading.
- Hierarchy and contrast.
- Grid and use of a good layout.
- Typographic combinations.
- Screen v. paper.
- Orthotypography and technical typographical aspects.
Module V - Criticism and analysis of the briefing for Digital Publishing
The importance of the briefing as a creative base of digital publications.
- Organizing the digital platform and its needs.
- Suggestion of platforms, tools and digital languages.
- Careful consideration of target, message and distribution.
- Analysis and demonstration of a suitable briefing.
Module VI - Information architecture and graphic synthesis in digital publications
A study of the different information structures and usability in digital publications.
- Creation of strategic content.
- Boundaries between container and narrative.
- Information architecture.
- Types of content and hierarchies in a digital publication.
- Navigation systems and flows.
- User interface.
- Gestures and visual design of an interface.
- Graphic synthesis and icon creation for apps.
Module VII - Usability in digital publications
The experience of the user in periodical publications and the importance of usability in interactive digital projects.
- Usability in mobile phones.
- Interaction patterns in digital publications.
- The influence of the context of use.
- The ‘Guerrilla’ test.
- Relationship between interaction design and visual design.
Module VIII - Complementation to create digital publications
Incorporation of additional knowledge to create digital publications that are more professional and rich in special effects and communication.
- Advanced Interactivities with Büttonpublish
- Animation with scroll
- 360 Effect using Sequence, image sequence.
- Export video as a sequence of images.
- Using transparencies in different interactivities (Slideshow, Animation ...) interesting resources.
- Add Map overlay by embedding Google Maps or Map with INWEB.
- Button to send mail.
- Check Büttonpublish interface.
- Social networking in a publication.
- HTML Articles.
- Optimization of documents to downsize export.
- Concept Stage. Preloader. Poster: the timeline, basic animation, properties of elements of Edge, proper file formats, styles CSS, animation tool 'Pin', type of movement.
- Structure of an animation: creating symbols, clipping masks, layers, and bookmarks, events, animate objects.
- Edge for web / mobile browser: Actions for tablets, Büttonpublish export, file navigation, incorporating templates, Flip and Parallax effects.
- Audio. Audio formats: Introduction to Adobe Audition, creating and exporting documents, joining Büttonpublish.
- Video. Video Formats: Introduction to After Effects, creating and exporting documents, joining Büttonpublish.
- Creation of a publication: structure and organization of content items in JPG, articles in HTML, rendering elements, optimization for different resolutions, the Sidecar .xml file, infographics with Edge Animate.
- Publications Management. Distribution: button Manage Account Management, App Builder, document preparation from Indesign, certificate creation in Apple, preparing page App Store, Application Loader.
Module IX - Distribution and sales in the App Store and the Android Market
Learning the procedure for distributing and selling a digital publication in the App Store and the Android Market.
- Learning the steps for distributing and selling in the App Store and the Android Market.
Module X - Business models, interactive advertising and branded apps
Business models for interactive magazines.
- Free, paying and other business models.
- Cases of success and of failure.
- Interactive advertising as a new narrative language.
- Branded apps as the future of advertising.
Guillem Casino Coordinator
Specialist in software
Coordinator of the Master in Infographics and Data Visualization and the Master in Digital Publications of BAU
Specialist in software
Computer Engineer specialising in apps
Paula is a graphic and font designer
Maria Cerezo / Emma Llensa
Francisco Javier Gómez
Digital Edition Specialist
Bachelor's Degree in Spanish Philology
Bachelor of Fine Arts
Selva Maria Orejón
Executive Director/on branding
- Art and production management in publishing houses.
- Art management in graphic design studios specialized in the design of digital books or digital publications in general.
- Freelance graphic designer.
- Self-publisher, graphic designer as an author.
- Designer / publisher in the publishing department of big companies.
Total cost of the course: 3765 €
BAU, Design College of Barcelona offers different terms of payment:
- Single payment: attracts a 3% discount
- Part payment, in three installments:
- 1st payment consisting of 40 % of the fees on enrollment
- 2nd payment consisting of 30% of the fees before November 5th
- 3rd payment consisting of 30 % of the fees before January 5th
Former students of BAU benefit from 10% discount on any of the courses. A former student of BAU is a student who, not being registered in the current academic year, has exceeded 50% of the credits for a Degree, Higher Degree in Design or the BAU Nit (BAU Evening); or 100% of the credits for any of the Master’s or Postgraduate degrees.
More information about scholarships and grants.
Send us a message and we will contact you as soon as possible.