- Edition: 2nd
- Teaching period: From October 2021, 6th to June 2022. Final master's project presentation: June 2022
- Schedule: From monday to thursday from 16:00 to 19:00
- Modality: On site
- Language: Spanish
- Price: 8.280 €
- Qualification: Master's Degree in Design, Technology and Innovation in Fashion awarded by the UVic-UCC
- Credits: 60 ECTS
With the fashion industry facing a decisive transition, the Master's degree in Fashion Design, Technology and Innovation proposes an approach to the sector based on sustainability, creativity and experimentation.
Recognising the necessity to radically rethink fashion, this master's degree encourages students to develop imaginative solutions to transform the current dynamics of the industry and contribute to a new scenario that combines environmental balance and social commitment with economic viability and the use of cutting-edge technologies.
In line with BAU's academic and research approach, the master's degree establishes stimulating and unexpected relationships between fashion and disciplines such as crafts, audiovisuals and biology, creating an enriching exchange of ideas, processes, materials, techniques and possibilities.
The programme is structured in five modules which thoroughly explore digital production processes and 3D pattern making; the potential of design research, digital printing and laser cutting; prototyping from interaction and smart fabrics; the application of biomaterials and the principles of the circular economy. Learning culminates in the final project, where students carry out all the phases of a real project.
BAU's Master's Degree in Fashion Design, Technology and Innovation trains young professionals in the conviction and desire to transform the sector. All this under a key premise: from innovation, critical spirit and creative freedom, each student designs their future to promote a more humane industry that cares for the common good.
Module 1 – Design for change Module 2 – Digital systems for a new fashion paradigm Module 3 – Strategies, methodologies and research systems in fashion Module 4 – Technologies and material innovations Module 5 – Prototyping and finishing resources. Master's Degree Final Project
Module 1 – Design for change
Assisted by speculative design, new technologies applied to fashion and debates with sector professionals and specialists, the first module will prepare students for the shift that is about to occur in the fashion system.
- Speculative fashion design. A theoretical block that will introduce a future where fashion will be considered in a different way.
- Fashion Future Laboratory. Debating the fashion system with specialists and professionals who will impart an understanding of the realities of the sector and the complex world of fashion; visualising strategies, methods and models of development that will validate our creative process.
- Introduction to new technologies in fashion. Covering the possibilities that technology offers for innovation and change towards a new paradigm and more sustainable systems within the larger fashion system.
Module 2 – Digital systems for a new fashion paradigm
Today’s fashion design programs and digital software provide access to tools that are sufficiently agile and flexible to redirect the production system chain towards a more creative and sustainable future. Customisable digital body modelling, direct design on the body using 3D simulation and new research systems in computer pattern making will revolutionise the way we envisage fashion creation, reduce time usage, broaden our design skills, and also allow us to embrace artistic research in digital contexts.
- Construction of the digital body. Flexibility, mutation and deconstruction. Open codes of production. Eco-couture
- Dressing the body in a digital context with 3D design program CLO.4.0
- Art and digital media and how to research in digital environments and virtual realities
- Connections with compatible formats of digital pattern making. Gerber software
Module 3 – Strategies, methodologies and research systems in fashion
This module will contextualise fashion design, providing it with multidisciplinary tools and methodologies that are used in other fields, such as ethnography and social innovation, to create a design that is focused, real and connected with the user. Furthermore, extreme fashion design proposals will be analysed along with the way in which the market absorbs any idea of dissident design.
- Ethnographic methodologies, field research and social innovation applied to fashion design
- Management and promotion of innovation projects. Collaboration with ESADE through management simulations and business games
- Creation, distribution and positioning
- Theoretical block. Fashion activism – hacking fashion – disobedient design: dressing the body as a political statement.
- Interactive tools. Electronics, e-textiles, wearables, soft sensor, soft robotics, skin electronics.
Module 4 – Technologies and material innovations
Fashion design can be approached from the perspective of working with materials, not only with smart textiles and those which are provided by technology, but as a material basis that requires contemporary design decisions which combine sustainable solutions, innovation and craftsmanship. We will experiment with uncommon materials by applying both digital and manual technologies in the creative process, which will help to link it to the environment.
- Sustainability. Upcycling
- Digital Manufacturing Modular systems, seamless laser-cut patterns, chainmail systems, structures and flexibles in 3D printing
- Natural biomaterials and dyes
- Conductive filaments
- Thermosensitive material
Module 5 – Prototyping and finishing resources. Master's Degree Final Project
This last module will be developed through a manufacturing and prototyping laboratory, providing tools for the realisation of projects. In addition, a theoretical block on body, gender and diversity will introduce students to the current discussions and issues that are fundamental to the fashion of the future. The module will also work with art direction to attain a well-oriented aesthetic result that transforms the project into a professional visual proposal.
- Theoretical block on body, gender and diversity
- Prototyping as a creator of new aesthetics. Garment finishes through the application of available technologies such as laser cutting, embedding or heat sealing
- Photography, visual communication and art direction
Elisa Amann Coordinator
Bachelor's Degree in Fine Arts. Coordinator of the Master in Design, Technology and Innovation in Fashion
PhD in Cultural Studies
Bachelor's Degree in Communication
Bachelor's Degree in Fashion Design
Bachelor's Degree in Arts With Honours in Fashion
Degree in fine arts. Electronic art and creative programming
Bachelor's Degree in Fashion Design
Textile and materials designer
Co-founder of ZER Collection brand
Fashion designer. Coordinator of the Fashion Department of the Degree in Design
Co-founder of ZER Collection brand
Experimental fashion designer and architect specializing in new materials, innovative crafts and digital fabrication
Prospective research and consulting
- Fashion designers.
- Fashion sector professionals.
- Specialist in new technologies and digital media applied to fashion.
- Specialist designer in biomaterials applied to textiles.
- Fashion designer of sustainable methodologies.
- Designer of interactive processes related to clothing.
- Fashion designer specialist in virtual systems.
Total cost of the course: 8.280 €
BAU, Design College of Barcelona offers different terms of payment:
- Single payment: attracts a 3% discount
- Part payment, in three installments:
- 1st payment consisting of 40 % of the fees on enrollment
- 2nd payment consisting of 30% of the fees before November 5th
- 3rd payment consisting of 30 % of the fees before January 5th
Former students of BAU benefit from 10% discount on any of the courses. A former student of BAU is a student who, not being registered in the current academic year, has exceeded 50% of the credits for a Degree, Higher Degree in Design or the BAU Nit (BAU Evening); or 100% of the credits for any of the Master’s or Postgraduate degrees.
More information about scholarships and grants.
Download the brochure
Enter your details and we will send you an email with the Master in Fashion Design and Technology brochure.