Master in design, technology and innovation in fashion
Oriented to new industrial trends, this master brings a critical and constructive view of fashion, rethinking it from a more sustainable perspective and from its production systems.
- Edition: 1st
- Teaching period: From October 15th 2019 to May 2020. Final master's project presentation: June 2020.
- Schedule: Monday to Thursday from 15:45 h to 18:45 h
- Modality: On site
- Language: Spanish
- Price: 7.980 €
- Qualification: Master's Degree in design, technology and innovation in fashion awarded by the UVic-UCC.
- Credits: 60 ECTS
The present program of studies provides training in new ways of thinking and understanding fashion design, focused on what is to come in the fashion world, rethinking fashion from the perspectives of sustainability, systems of production, experimenting with prototyping and patterns, while providing design and pattern construction software, as well as the technology to create a coherent communication that envisions alternative futures through a range of fashion research methodologies.
The mission of the Master is to encourage critical thinking, rethink design roles by introducing innovative research methodologies that allow new futures in the fashion system to be proposed to guarantee economic viability, technological feasibility, environmental sustainability and social utility.
All modules contain a theoretical capsule and other techniques taught by specialist graduates along with contributions from renowned guest professionals and designers.
Module 1 - The fashion system and design for change Module 2 - Digital systems for a new fashion paradigm Module 3 - Strategies, methodologies and creative research systems Module 4 - Technologies and material innovations Module 5 - Master Final Project - Prototype and finishes research
Module 1. The fashion system and design for change
Fashion will experience a paradigm shift in the ways in which it is considered and produced; to prepare we must have a thorough understanding of the present and a sense of the future that is approaching. Assisted by speculative design, new technologies applied to fashion and debates with sector professionals and specialists, we will prepare for the shift that is about to occur in the fashion system. Collaboration will be provided by designer and researcher Elisa Van Joolen.
- Introduction to new technologies in fashion: Position ourselves with regard to the possibilities that technology offers for innovation and change towards a new paradigm and more sustainable systems within the larger fashion system.
- Speculative fashion design: Theoretical block, which will allow us to get a sense of a future where fashion will be considered in a different way.
- Pattern technologies and sustainable systems: 0-Waste
- Fashion Future Laboratory: Debating the fashion system with specialists and fashion professionals who will impart an understanding of the realities of the sector and the complex world of fashion; visualising strategies, methods and models of development that will validate our creative process.
Module 2. Digital systems for a new fashion paradigm
Today’s fashion design programs and digital software provide access to tools that are sufficiently agile and flexible to redirect the production system chain towards a more creative and sustainable future. Customisable digital body modelling, direct design on the body using 3D simulation and new research systems in computer pattern making will revolutionise the way we envisage fashion creation, reduce time usage, broaden our design skills, and also allow us to embrace artistic research in digital contexts. Collaboration will be provided by designer and pattern-maker Dr. Rickard Lindqvist whose KINETIC GARMENT CONSTRUCTION method revolutionises the way in which we understand the fashion production system.
- Construction of the digital body: Flexibility, mutation and deconstruction
- Open codes of production: Eco-couture
- Dressing the body in a digital context with 3D design program CLO.4.0
- Art and digital media and how to research in digital environments and virtual realities
- Connections with compatible formats of Digital Pattern Making: GERBER SOFTWARE
Module 3. Strategies, methodologies and creative research systems
This module will contextualise fashion design, providing it with multidisciplinary tools and methodologies that are used in other fields, such as ethnography and social innovation, to create a design that is focused, real and connected with the user. Furthermore, extreme fashion design proposals will be explored along with the way in which the market absorbs any idea of dissident design. In collaboration with ESADE, we will implement a vision of business management and strategic thinking to discover how a project can be placed within a real context. Collaboration will be provided by activist and design collective Andrea Crews.
- Ethnographic methodologies, field research and social innovation applied to fashion design
- Management and promotion of innovation projects. Collaboration with ESADE through management simulations and business games
- Creation, distribution and positioning
- Theoretical block: Fashion activism – Hacking fashion – Disobedient design: Dressing the body as a political statement
- Interactive tools: Electronics, e-textiles, wearables, soft sensor, soft robotics, skin electronics
Module 4. Technologies and material innovations
Fashion design can be approached from the perspective of working with materials, not only with smart textiles and those which are provided by technology, but as a material basis that requires contemporary design decisions which combine sustainable solutions, innovation and craftsmanship. We will experiment with uncommon materials by applying both digital and manual technologies in the creative process, which will help to link it to the environment. Collaboration will be provided by the architecture and fashion design team ZAP-BUJ.
- Sustainability: Upcycling
- Digital Manufacturing, modular systems, seamless laser-cut patterns, chainmail systems, structures and flexibles in 3D printing
- Natural biomaterials and dyes
- Conductive filaments
- Thermosensitive material
Module 5. Final project - prototype and finishes research
This module will be developed through a manufacturing and prototyping laboratory, providing tools for the realisation of projects. In addition, a theoretical block on body, gender and diversity will lead us to the current discussions and issues that are fundamental to the fashion of the future. As this is the last module, it will work with art direction to attain a well-oriented aesthetic result that transforms the project into a professional visual proposal. The garments will become the centrepiece for the creation of visual impacts; to achieve this, collaboration will be provided by photographer Daniel Riera.
- Theoretical block on body, gender and diversity
- Prototyping as a creator of new aesthetics. Garment finishes through the application of available technologies such as laser cutting, embedding or heat sealing
- Photography, visual communication and art direction
PhD in Cultural Studies
Master's Degree in Communication, Culture and Digital Citizenship
Bachelor's Degree in Fashion Design
Bachelor's Degree in Communication
Bachelor's Degree in Fashion Design
Bachelor's Degree in Arts With Honours in Fashion
Bachelor's Degree in Fashion Design
- Fashion designer
- Fashion researcher
- Art director
- Digital artist
Total cost of the course: 7.980 €
BAU, Design College of Barcelona offers different terms of payment:
- Single payment: attracts a 3% discount
- Part payment, in three installments:
- 1st payment consisting of 40 % of the fees on enrollment
- 2nd payment consisting of 30% of the fees before November 5th
- 3rd payment consisting of 30 % of the fees before January 5th
Former students of BAU benefit from 10% discount on any of the courses. A former student of BAU is a student who, not being registered in the current academic year, has exceeded 50% of the credits for a Degree, Higher Degree in Design or the BAU Nit (BAU Evening); or 100% of the credits for any of the Master’s or Postgraduate degrees.
More information about scholarships and grants.
Send us a message and we will contact you as soon as possible.