Jordi Planelles Salvans
Architecture graduate from the ETSAB UPC. Member of the Design and Social Transformation Research Group (GREDITS).
Architecture graduate from the ETSAB UPC. Member of the Design and Social Transformation Research Group (GREDITS). PhD student in construction technology. Specialist in construction, installation and restoration. Founding Partner of the Genís Planelles architecture studio. Professional collaborator with the ITeC Product Quality department and the Local Architectural Heritage Service of the Barcelona Provincial Council.
The main purpose of this course, much like its predecessors, is to provide knowledge of the physical realisation of interior design projects and works from two sides of interior design that have traditionally been strongly interlinked – ‘construction and installation’.
On the one hand, this subject focuses especially on the knowledge of construction systems as the defining element of a project and, on the other hand, on the knowledge and one’s own stance with regard to alternative and conventional systems for environmental and comfort control: air conditioning, geothermics, ventilation and extraction systems, wind and solar systems, etc.
Module 1. Construction
- Construction systems
- Study of the usual construction systems and description of the different options of use of each material.
- Students will be introduced to the details of construction from the initial concept to the specific, defined details, considering the features of the materials involved.
- If circumstances allow, there will be a visit to a construction site with industrial workers to observe the practical application of what has been discussed in the lectures.
Module 2. Installation
- Study and analysis of the different unconventional systems aimed at achieving environmental comfort in interior spaces: active and passive systems. Introduction to the fundamentals of geothermal energy, photovoltaic systems and solar collectors, wind systems, small hydro, etc.
- Study and analysis of the different indoor temperature control systems known as air conditioning, and their fundamental parameters.
- Study and analysis of ventilation and air extraction systems. Regulations on compulsory ventilation of indoor spaces: basic criteria and conditioning of the interior space.
- Criteria and fundamental concepts to improve acoustic conditions in interior spaces.
- Has accurate knowledge of the products, construction processes and installation systems / alternative systems.
- Conceptualises the formal and technical sides of construction details.
- Is consistent in the development of an installation/complex installation project and takes into consideration criteria for aesthetics, energy consumption, technology and construction.
- Applies sustainability criteria to their interior design projects correctly.
- Applies their knowledge, understanding and problem-solving skills to the professional side of interior design in a creative, innovative way.
- Carries out evaluation processes to assess their own practice and that of others from a critical and responsible perspective.
- SS3. The ability to conceptualise and experiment with suggestions for design projects, and approach them with a proactive and problem solving attitude that will facilitate decisive solutions to real or potential problems, all the while taking into account the integration of cultural, artistic and instrumental approaches.
- SS7. Consider the properties and behaviour of the materials used in the different fields of design, in order to use them at the professional level in their own productions with aesthetic sensitivity and social and environmental responsibility.
- SS9. Implementation of design projects which provide alternative solutions and propose improvements based on functionality and viability. These solutions and improvements must also be able to respond to problems or changing situations in advance, through the development of a formal production at a professional level.
- Observation of participation
- Monitoring of the work produced
- Specific tests: exams
- Realisation of works or projects