Jordi Planelles Salvans
Architecture graduate from the ETSAB UPC. Member of the Design and Social Transformation Research Group (GREDITS).
Architecture graduate from the ETSAB UPC. Member of the Design and Social Transformation Research Group (GREDITS). PhD student in construction technology. Specialist in construction, installation and restoration. Founding Partner of the Genís Planelles architecture studio. Professional collaborator with the ITeC Product Quality department and the Local Architectural Heritage Service of the Barcelona Provincial Council.
The main purpose of this course is to provide knowledge about the physical realisation of interior design projects and disciplines from two sides of interior design that have traditionally been strongly interlinked – ‘construction and installation’.
On the one hand, this subject primarily focuses on the knowledge of materials, systems and relationships that is established and, on the other hand, on the knowledge and ability to reflect and take one’s own stance with regard to environmental comfort, sustainability, acoustics and any related control systems.
Module 1. Construction
- Study of each of the materials commonly used in the construction of interior spaces:
- Stone - ceramics - metal - cement - wood - polymers - glass - plaster - lime – paint.
- Construction systems.
- Study of the usual construction systems and description of the different options for the use of each material.
If circumstances allow, there will be a visit to a construction site with industrial workers to observe the practical application of what has been discussed in the lectures.
- Review and definition of the concept of comfort in an interior space. Analysis of the parameters that define comfort, from the most immediate (temperature, humidity, etc.) to the most subtle (reverberation, radiation, textures, etc.).
- Study and analysis of the different types of energy, how they work, the possibilities they offer and their monitoring methods. Reflection on everything design can do to control power. Knowledge about the use of active and passive systems.
- Heat/Temperature: in-depth review of the monitoring methods and systems of parameters concerning temperature, humidity and quality of the air indoors.
- Noise/acoustics: in-depth review of the different types of noise. Analysis of the monitoring methods and systems.
- Analysis of the fundamental parameters for the assessment of sustainability in interior design projects. Taking an independent stance with regard to sustainability and energy efficiency.
- Recognises the different construction materials and their main features.
- Analyses the possible construction options for an interior design project from a critical perspective.
- Uses their knowledge of the physical factors that determine comfort in order to find the most fitting project options.
- Analyses the acoustic conditions of the interior space from a critical perspective.
- Applies their knowledge, understanding and problem-solving skills to the professional side of interior design in a creative, innovative way.
- Carries out evaluation processes to assess their own practice and that of others from a critical and responsible perspective.
- SS3. The ability to conceptualise and experiment with suggestions for design projects, and approach them with a proactive and problem solving attitude that will facilitate decisive solutions to real or potential problems, all the while taking into account the integration of cultural, artistic and instrumental approaches.
- SS7. Consider the properties and behaviour of the materials used in the different fields of design, in order to use them at the professional level in their own productions with aesthetic sensitivity and social and environmental responsibility.
- SS9. Implementation of design projects which provide alternative solutions and propose improvements based on functionality and viability. These solutions and improvements must also be able to respond to problems or changing situations in advance, through the development of a formal production at a professional level.
- Observation of participation
- Monitoring of the work produced
- Specific tests: exams
- Realisation of works or projects